Photos by Duane Stork // Dr. Al Padwa cradles one of his metal globes in his backyard sculpture garden.
Padwa’s recycled rust creatures pose in the driveway by his work studio.
Dr. Padwa's Room features a Calder limited lithograph, San Francisco; “Lovers Sharing Poncho,” bronze relief by Guilloume; “Cello” by Collin Varsan, New York City; wooden hippo from Nairobi and a collected duck decoy. Far right: Metal sculpture of a human form by artist Terri Stone.
Above the mantel is a Asian Japanese silk screen (1840), which Padwa bought in 1973 in Japan. Adjacent to the silk screen are small Australian sculptures. The wooden decoy is part of his 1960s collection.
Padwa's living room featuring a "ceiling dweller."
Padwa selected the chandelier because it relates to Calderesque shapes and mobiles. Paintings: “French Village” oil (left), Paris; Prague 1999 (middle) ; La Paz, Bolivia (right), artist unknown. Ivory elephant from China 1986, now a forbidden export. Padwa built the stationary abstract sculpture on the dining room table.
A Vermeer poster acquired in 1982 Musee d’Orsay, Paris is flanked by old brass lamps from Montreal, Canada 1960.
Left: The Emory chemistry building lobby honors Padwa by displaying his mirror-imaged mobile, which took several months to complete.